Introduction: Knight Arts Challenge Miami from Knight Foundation on Vimeo.
• The submission period for Knight Arts Challenge has begun and entries will be accepted through March 4. The Knight Foundation seeks "the best and most innovative ideas from local individuals and organizations that seek to weave the arts into South Floridian’s everyday lives," notes Tatiana Hernandez on the foundation's blog, which contains a list of resources and strategies on how to best apply. Apply at Knightarts.org/knight-arts-challenge/miami. Deadline is March 4.
• Community Art Education Partnerships, described as "an incentive program is to expand access to arts education occurring in community-based settings" offers grants of $2,000 to $7,000 for "performances by or exhibitions of professional artists; arts instruction; arts intervention; healing/expressive arts; and arts integration projects that promote the development of knowledge, skills, or appreciation related to arts and culture." Deadline for applications is 11:59 p.m. March 1. Details are on Broward County Cultural Division's site.
• Grace Arts Center in Dania is having an Entry and Backlot Ideas and Design Competition. Registration deadline is Feb. 18, with final submissions due on March 15. An exhibition will be held March 29 through April 1. Visit Gracecafeandgalleries.com for more info.
• Green Room seeks dark, creepy and geeky art from painters, photographers, sculptors, illustrators and mixed-media artists for a Sci-Fi Art Show including aliens, monsters and fantasy. Works must be delivered to the Green Room 6-9 p.m. Feb. 21. Artists pay no fees and keep 100 percent of what they sell. Interested artists should e-mail Gina (Electriccanvas@yahoo.com) who will send confirmed artists an art intake form with drop-off info. The exhibition kicks off with a party that starts at 10 p.m. Feb. 23 and will include bands (TBA), DJ sets by Andie Sweetswirl and Essential6 and drink specials.
• Art and Culture Center of Hollywood seeks "original paintings, drawings, prints, sculpture, photography, video, computer generated images, performance, and site-specific installations" by Florida artists for its 6th All-Media Juried Biennial that runs April 26 through May 26. Cash awards for the show, juried by Miami Rail editor and Artforum contributor Hunter Braithwaite, and critic, curator, artist and [NAME] Publications founder Gean Moreno, include $2,000 for best in show, $1,000 for first place, $600 for second and $400 for third. Entry fee for images of three works or less is $45 (through PayPal or Amazon Payments) per artist, and submissions are accepted online. Read more info on Biennial Submissions. Deadline for entries is March 8 and deadline for delivery of accepted works is April 19.
• Undergrounds Coffeehaus, run by longtime local art supporter Aileen Liptak, features an artist-of-the-month. Each featured artists makes a piece of work for Undergrounds and exhibits other works in the cafe for a 30-day period. Interested parties should contact Aileen at Undergroundscoffeehaus@gmail.
• Poets of the Palm Beaches is holding an adult poetry contest for Palm Beach County residents. Prizes will be awarded for first ($75), second ($50) and third place ($25). Entry fee is $2 per poem. Visit Poetsofthepalmbeaches.com/adultcontestrules.html for more details. Postmark deadline for entries is March 17.
For info on more South Florida art news and events, visit Arterpillar.blogspot.com.