• The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood will continue accepting submissions through March 8 for its 6th All-Media Juried Biennial. Find details at Artandculturecenter.org/biennial-2013.
Benefit for photographer Valyn Calhoun
• Creative people are needed to participate in Valyn Calhoun's solo photography exhibition. The event will include a raffle of photographs, crafts, sculptures, mixed-media works, illustrations and paintings by artists who are donating the works to help Calhoun's raise money for HIV/AIDS medication.
As organizers note: "We are also inviting everyone else to make a donation in the form of gift certificates for services. Are you a photographer that can donate an hour photoshoot towards this cause? Maybe a tattoo artist that can donate some ink? A hairdresser that can give a sweet haircut? Or perhaps a baker who can make a custom cake? We all can give a little something based on our talents and all will help Valyn!"
Confirmed artists include Kristin Frenzel, Jonathan Vinazza, K:nu, Vicky Cappy, Molly Grabill, Tony Kapel, Manny Mendez, Jim Hall, Gina Bentivegna, Jason JaFleu Fleurant, Serafima Sokolov and David Santana.
The event will feature DJ sets by Andie Sweetswirl, edibles from Frankie Dogs and Mimi Does Cakes performances by Travis Newbill, Pocket of Lollipops and Dooms de Pop. Those interested in participating in the event or making a donation can contact Gina at Electriccanvas@yahoo.com. Art prizes must be delivered to the Green Room 6-9 p.m. March 14 and the five-hour event starts at 10 p.m. March 16. Cover is $10 and includes two-for-one beer and well drinks until midnight. Those who are unable to attend but want to donate can visit Giveforward.com/hivaidstreatmentforvalyn.
New downtown Hollywood gallery accepting submissions
• Gallery 2014, a new art space, will soon open in downtown Hollywood. The name of the venue has nothing to do with the fact that next year is 2014. It's simply the gallery's address (2014 Harrison Street).
The stated mission of the venue, established by artists and art supporters, Elizabeth Sanjuan and Ken Brown, is to provide a forum and exhibit space for new and emerging artists "who might ordinarily lack access to the public" and "an open and comfortable atmosphere where residents can have the opportunity to acquire quality original art at reasonable prices, and where hardworking new and undiscovered artists can realize fair value for their work."
Gallery 2014, will also designate studio space for an “artists-in-residence” program and offer space for art classes, studio sessions, lectures or seminars and local fundraisers.
Currently the gallery seeks submissions from interested artists, who are asked to send three images that represent their work (along with dimensions and descriptions), as well as their name, studio or work address, home address, phone contacts (cell, work, home) and e-mail address. They should also describe (in 150 words or less) their artistic training and objectives, and state (in 50 words or less) what they want from Gallery 2014. Info should be e-mailed to Info@Gallery2014.com.
Artists needed for '90s art show
• Green Room is seeking artist submission for a '90s Art Show that will feature paintings, illustrations, mixed-media works, sculptures and photographs relating to '90s television, movies, fashion, politics, celebrities, toys etc. Artists may exhibit one to five pieces of work, and the works must be dropped off 6-9 p.m. March 7 and picked up 6-9 p.m. March 21. The exhibition will open at 10 p.m. March 9 with a party, featuring a band (TBA), DJ set by Andie Sweetswirl and drink specials (until midnight). Interested artists should e-mail Gina at Electriccanvas@yahoo.com.
Have an offbeat art story?
• Jody Leshinsky of the Broward County Cultural Division is seeking offbeat art-related story ideas to to send to WPBT for consideration for Art Loft, a weekly 30-minute TV program showcasing artists, openings, installations performances and art organizations. Interested artists should e-mail a one-paragraph story to JLeshinsky@Broward.org.
New gallery and lesbian lounge seeks art
• Artist Jade Masters seeks submissions from female "sculptors, painters, musicians, unique fashion designers, spoken word, burlesques, performance artists and so on" for a new gallery and lesbian lounge in Fort Lauderdale. Interested artists should send Masters their name and contact info, images of their art and a description of their style of art. Her e-mail is Artist.firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more calls to artists and other opportunities, visit Arterpillar's Artist Opps page.