Monday, January 14, 2013

TEENSY WEENSY SOLO EXHIBITION: "Drowning" by Brandy Rumiez

Image courtesy of Brandy Rumiez

 Last summer, I launched an occasional feature titled Teensy Weensy Solo Exhibition.

 It's been awhile since I've run one of these but over the holiday season I came across an image of "Drowning," a mixed-media (pastels and acrylic on paper) work by Fort Lauderdale artist Brandy Rumiez. The sad-looking and seemingly huggable creatures made me think about how difficult and tremendously sad it can feel to say farewell, for good, to someone or something that is such an integral part of one's life.

I wondered what Rumiez was thinking about as she created this, so I contacted her and asked her if she would like to write a little something about the work.

Here's what she had to say:
"Like water, ideas are flowing constantly. Happy thoughts tickle and float like bubbles. Negative ones bury us into the darkest of depths. To me this piece is about accepting fate whatever it may be. It's about letting go of the bad, embracing the good, and losing yourself to yourself.

I've been told my art is cute but sort of creepy. I think that maybe to some degree I use 'cute' to mask terrible, horrific things. That would explain why my work turns out the way it does, but it isn't a conscious effort on my part.

I've always loved stories and I feel that this is my way of telling them. When people talk to me about my work it's almost as if they're acknowledging the three-dimensional existence of the creatures and the world I paint. It makes them more real to me knowing I'm not the only one who sees them."

Previous Teensy Weensy Solo Exhibitions include:

For info on more South Florida art news and events, visit Arterpillar.blogspot.com.




4 comments:

  1. I love Brandy's work! She is an amazing artist and storyteller. More!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen, what adorable work, can't wait to see more!
    I hope you are having a great 2013 so far and as always THANK YOU!! for helping all of us out there trying to get our art out!
    Big Hugs,
    Rosanna

    ReplyDelete